Are you longing for the wide open road on a classic car with plenty of power to go wherever your heart desires? The 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 may be just what you need! This iconic American classic is more than capable of bringing back the days of cruising down main street or taking long drives with the windows down. With its strong and powerful engine, stylish exterior, well-designed interior, and modern convenience features, this classic car offers anything but outdated performance. Ready to take a ride in style and luxury with the incredible 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383? Then read on to learn why it’s one of America’s favorite muscle cars!
Table of Contents
Introducing the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383
The 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 was a high-performance variant of the popular Barracuda model, known for its powerful engine and enhanced driving experience. Here’s an introduction to this iconic classic car:
The 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 showcased the perfect blend of style and performance. It featured a sleek and aerodynamic design that made heads turn wherever it went. The Barracuda’s distinct fastback profile and muscular lines gave it a commanding presence on the road.
What set the Formula S 383 apart was its potent engine. Under the hood, it housed a mighty 383 cubic inch V8 engine, delivering impressive power and exhilarating acceleration. With its high-performance camshaft, upgraded intake manifold, and dual exhaust system, the Formula S 383 was capable of producing an impressive amount of horsepower and torque.
To enhance the driving experience, the Barracuda Formula S 383 came equipped with various performance features. It featured a heavy-duty suspension system, upgraded brakes, and a limited-slip differential, ensuring precise handling and improved control on the road. The Formula S package also included wider tires and specific badging, emphasizing its high-performance nature.
Inside the cabin, the 1968 Barracuda Formula S 383 offered a comfortable and stylish interior. It boasted bucket seats with optional leather upholstery, a sporty steering wheel, and a dashboard with well-placed gauges. The attention to detail and quality materials used in the interior reflected the Barracuda’s commitment to providing both comfort and a sporty driving experience.
The 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 holds a special place in automotive history as one of the most sought-after muscle cars of its time. Its combination of sleek design, powerful engine, and enhanced performance made it a favorite among car enthusiasts and collectors alike.
Today, the 1968 Barracuda Formula S 383 continues to be appreciated for its classic styling, raw power, and the unique driving experience it offers. Whether on the road or showcased at car shows, this legendary vehicle never fails to captivate with its timeless appeal and exhilarating performance.
Overview of Unique and Classic Features
The 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 was known for its unique and classic features, which set it apart from other vehicles of its time. Here’s an overview of some of these standout features:
– Fastback Design: The Barracuda Formula S 383 boasted a distinct fastback design, characterized by its sleek and aerodynamic profile. The sloping rear roofline seamlessly blended into the rear end, giving the car a sporty and aggressive appearance.
– Performance-Oriented Badging: The Formula S 383 package included specific badging that denoted its high-performance nature. The “Formula S” emblem adorned the front fenders and rear of the car, showcasing its special status.
– Powerful 383 V8 Engine: The heart of the Barracuda Formula S 383 was its powerful 383 cubic inch V8 engine. This engine featured a high-performance camshaft, upgraded intake manifold, and dual exhaust system, delivering impressive horsepower and torque for an exhilarating driving experience.
– Upgraded Suspension and Brakes: To handle the increased power, the Formula S 383 received a heavy-duty suspension system, ensuring improved handling and stability. Additionally, upgraded brakes provided enhanced stopping power, offering a confident and controlled driving experience.
– Bucket Seats and Sporty Interior: Inside the Barracuda Formula S 383, you would find comfortable bucket seats that provided excellent support during spirited driving. The interior featured a sporty design, with a stylish steering wheel, a driver-oriented dashboard, and a center console with integrated gauges.
– Wide Tires and Custom Wheels: The Formula S 383 came equipped with wider tires compared to the standard Barracuda models, allowing for improved traction and better road grip. Additionally, the car could be outfitted with optional custom wheels, enhancing its visual appeal and overall performance.
– Optional Features: Plymouth offered a range of optional features for the Barracuda Formula S 383, allowing buyers to customize their vehicles to their preferences. These options included power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, and various audio systems, adding convenience and comfort to the driving experience.
Performance and Power under the Hood Of 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383
The 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 was renowned for its impressive performance and power. Under the hood, this classic car housed a formidable engine that delivered thrilling acceleration and exhilarating driving experiences. Here are the performance and power specifications of the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383:
Engine: The Barracuda Formula S 383 was equipped with a potent 383 cubic inch V8 engine, which was a significant upgrade from the standard Barracuda models. This engine was known for its robust power and high-performance capabilities.
Horsepower: The 383 V8 engine generated an impressive horsepower output. It produced around 335 horsepower, providing ample thrust and quick acceleration that could put a smile on any driver’s face.
Torque: Along with the impressive horsepower, the Barracuda Formula S 383 delivered substantial torque. The torque output of the 383 V8 engine reached approximately 425 lb-ft, ensuring strong low-end and mid-range power for a thrilling driving experience.
Acceleration: Thanks to its powerful engine, the Barracuda Formula S 383 boasted impressive acceleration capabilities. It could sprint from 0 to 60 mph (0 to 97 km/h) in around 6 seconds, making it a quick and formidable contender on the streets.
Transmission: The Barracuda Formula S 383 offered different transmission options to suit individual preferences. Buyers could choose between a three-speed automatic transmission or a four-speed manual transmission, allowing for a more engaging driving experience and optimal power delivery.
Performance Enhancements: In addition to the powerful engine, the Formula S 383 package included various performance enhancements. These enhancements encompassed a high-performance camshaft, an upgraded intake manifold, and a dual exhaust system, further enhancing the car’s power output and overall performance.
Interior Comfort and Exterior Design Of 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383
The 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 not only delivered impressive performance but also offered a comfortable and stylish interior along with an eye-catching exterior design. Let’s delve into the details of its interior and exterior features:
The Barracuda Formula S 383 provided a comfortable and driver-centric interior that enhanced the overall driving experience. Key features included:
– Bucket Seats: The Formula S 383 featured bucket seats, which provided excellent support and comfort, especially during spirited driving. These seats were designed to keep the driver and passenger securely in place, adding to the sporty feel of the car.
– Optional Leather Upholstery: Buyers had the option to upgrade to luxurious leather upholstery, further elevating the interior comfort and adding a touch of sophistication.
– Sporty Steering Wheel: The Formula S 383 boasted a sporty steering wheel that fit well in the hands and offered precise control. It added to the overall sporty ambiance of the interior.
– Driver-Oriented Dashboard: The dashboard featured a driver-oriented design, placing important gauges and controls within easy reach. This layout ensured that the driver could access crucial information and control the vehicle effortlessly.
The exterior design of the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 exuded a blend of sleekness and muscularity. Here are some notable features:
– Fastback Profile: The Formula S 383 showcased a distinctive fastback profile, characterized by its sloping roofline that seamlessly merged with the rear end of the car. This design element not only contributed to the car’s aerodynamics but also added to its overall sporty appeal.
– Bold Front Fascia: The front end of the Barracuda Formula S 383 featured a bold and aggressive grille design, giving the car a commanding presence on the road. The iconic Barracuda emblem was prominently displayed, accentuating its identity.
– Muscular Body Lines: The Barracuda Formula S 383 exhibited muscular body lines that emphasized its performance-oriented nature. These lines extended from the front fenders to the rear, adding a sense of dynamism and power to its overall appearance.
– Optional Hood Scoops: To enhance its sporty look and optimize engine performance, the Formula S 383 offered optional hood scoops. These functional scoops not only added a distinctive visual element but also helped in providing fresh air to the engine.
Tips for Maintaining a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383
Maintaining a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 requires care and attention to ensure its longevity and optimal performance. Here are some tips to help you maintain your classic car:
– Regular Inspections: Conduct regular inspections of the vehicle to identify any potential issues. Check the engine, brakes, suspension, and other components for signs of wear, leaks, or damage. Address any problems promptly to prevent further damage.
– Fluid Checks and Changes: Regularly check and change the engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, and coolant as recommended by the manufacturer. Proper fluid levels and clean fluids are crucial for the car’s performance and longevity.
– Lubrication: Keep the moving parts properly lubricated. Grease fittings, hinges, and other critical areas to prevent friction and ensure smooth operation. Regularly lubricate door locks, window mechanisms, and any other parts that require lubrication.
– Battery Maintenance: Monitor the battery’s condition and keep it properly charged. Clean the battery terminals regularly and check the electrolyte levels if applicable. Consider disconnecting the battery when the car is not in use for extended periods to avoid draining.
– Tire Care: Inspect the tires regularly for proper inflation, tread wear, and signs of damage. Maintain the recommended tire pressure, rotate the tires periodically, and consider replacing them when they become worn or aged.
– Brake System: Ensure the brakes are in good working condition. Check the brake pads, rotors, and brake lines for wear and deterioration. Bleed the brake lines periodically to maintain optimal braking performance.
– Electrical System: Inspect the electrical components, such as lights, switches, and wiring, for proper functioning. Replace any faulty bulbs or wiring as needed.
– Proper Storage: If you store the car for an extended period, take precautions to protect it. Store it in a clean, dry, and well-ventilated space, preferably with a car cover. Consider using fuel stabilizers and periodically start the engine to prevent fuel system issues.
>>> You might also like:
FAQs About 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383
What is the significance of the Formula S package for the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda?
The Formula S package was a performance-oriented option for the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda. It included various upgrades such as a more powerful engine, sportier suspension, enhanced brakes, and other performance enhancements, making the Barracuda Formula S a more exhilarating and engaging driving experience.
How many units of the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 were produced?
The exact production numbers for the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 are not readily available. However, it is known that the Formula S package was relatively popular among buyers who sought higher performance, so a significant number of these models were produced.
What engine was offered in the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383?
The 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 came equipped with a 383 cubic inch (6.3-liter) V8 engine. This engine was specially tuned for performance and delivered a significant boost in power compared to the base engine options.
What were the transmission options available for the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383?
The 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 offered a range of transmission options. Buyers could choose between a three-speed automatic transmission or a four-speed manual transmission, allowing them to tailor the driving experience to their preferences.
Were there any unique visual cues that distinguished the Formula S 383 model from other Barracuda models?
Yes, the Formula S 383 model had distinctive visual cues that set it apart. These included Formula S badges on the fenders and trunk, unique wheel designs, and optional hood scoops. These visual elements added to the overall sporty and aggressive appearance of the Formula S 383.
How does the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 compare to its competitors of the time?
The 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 was a formidable competitor in the muscle car segment of its time. With its powerful engine, sporty suspension, and performance-focused enhancements, it offered strong performance and handling capabilities that rivaled other high-performance cars of its era.
How can I verify the authenticity of a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383?
Verifying the authenticity of a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 involves examining various factors such as VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) codes, body tags, engine stampings, and specific features associated with the Formula S package. Consulting with experts, researching historical data, and utilizing available resources can help ensure the car’s authenticity.
>>> See more: 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 4 speed convertible
The 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 is an iconic American classic. This muscle car was born from the dust of good old days in mid-sixties America – when a powerful engine, robust style and speed were the main ingredients for success. This particular model is one of the most sought after examples due to its power and dependability. From its raw and rockin’ exterior, to its pristine interior, you can’t go wrong with this type of car. It will definitely turn some heads and make you feel like a million bucks while you drive it around town or take it out on the open road! If you’re looking for an American classic that won’t break the bank then the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 is the perfect choice for you. Don’t wait another minute before adding this piece of motoring history into your car collection and reliving the glory days!
Welcome to the Cafetoscanarestaurant blog! Here we’ll be sharing all the latest news and happenings from our restaurant. From new menu items to special events, we’ll keep you updated on everything that’s going on. Thanks for stopping by!