Are you ready to take your 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS to another level of performance? Building a professional grade 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS can be an intimidating and time consuming process, but the end result can be tremendously satisfying. With the right plan, parts, and instruction, you can realize a stunning vehicle that will make heads turn wherever you go. In this blog post we’ll provide all the steps necessary for crafting a truly elite classic automobile. From choosing compatible parts to painting tips & tricks-we’ve got everything covered! Keep reading to learn how building a professional grade ’70s Chevy Chevelle could create the car of your dreams.
Table of Contents
Overview of the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS
The 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS was a full-sized muscle car that made a big impression on the American automotive industry. It featured an iconic design, powerful engine options, and a long list of performance enhancements that set it apart from other vehicles in its class.
The exterior of the Chevelle SS included wide-set grille openings, a blacked-out hood with dual air intakes, sporty wheel flares, and signature “SS” badging. The interior was equipped with bucket seats and center console for comfort, along with an array of gauges to monitor the car’s vitals.
Under the hood, the Chevelle SS offered several engine choices ranging from 350 to 454 cubic inches. Additionally, customers had the option to choose from a three-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission. A plethora of performance parts were available, including a Hurst shifter, high-performance camshafts, and headers for improved exhaust flow.
These features combined to make the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS a formidable presence on the road. Its combination of power and style is still admired by car enthusiasts today.
Anatomy Of The Car’s Exterior Design: the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS
The 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS is one of the most iconic cars of the era. From its distinct design to its performance, this car has left a lasting impression. The exterior of the Chevelle SS features many unique and defining components that contribute to its classic look. Below is a list of some prominent elements:
– Grille: Its grille was designed in an egg-crate style with two thin vertical rectangles on either side, giving it an aggressive look.
– Bumpers: The front bumper had sculpted tips and gave the car a wider stance, while the rear bumper featured end caps with simulated exhaust outlets.
– Hood Scoop and Fender Vents: A functional hood scoop and two simulated vents on each front fender added to the car’s appeal.
– Paint: The exterior of the Chevelle SS was offered in glossy, vibrant colors with contrasting black stripes running along the sides.
– Wheels: It featured five-spoke Super Sport wheels with bright trim rings that completed its classic look.
Underneath The Hood: the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS
The 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS is a classic muscle car, and its performance capabilities stem from the powerful components under the hood. It features a 454-cubic inch V8 engine with an output of 450 horsepower, hydraulic valve lifters, and a four-barrel carburetor. The transmission is a four-speed manual with a Hurst shifter. Other notable features include:
– Aluminum intake manifold
– Dual exhaust system
– High flow heads for increased efficiency
– Heavy duty clutch
– Power brakes
In summary, the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS offers classic muscle car power and performance under its hood. With its powerful components, this vehicle has been able to stand the test of time and is a true classic car icon.
Its Place In History – How The Chevelle SS Earned Its Reputation As An American Classic
The Chevelle SS was a series of Chevrolet automobiles produced between 1964 and 1977. It is now considered an American classic, due to its powerful performance capabilities and iconic styling. The Chevelle SS rose to prominence thanks to its numerous innovative features, such as the 396 V-8 engine, heavy-duty suspension components, special trim packages, four-speed manual transmissions, power brakes and steering, deep-tinted glass, rally wheels with wide oval tires, and a list of optional equipment that included bucket seats and floor shifters. This combination of performance options made the Chevelle SS one of the most popular muscle cars of the 1960s and ’70s. Its place in history has been cemented by its appearance in numerous films, television shows, and other media. Its legacy lives on in its successors and imitators, making the Chevelle SS a true American classic.
Today, the iconic stature of the Chevelle SS is still evident in modern muscle cars influenced by its design. Whether you’re looking for a classic collector’s edition or a modern interpretation of this legendary vehicle, you can have it all with the Chevy Chevelle SS. It continues to be one of America’s favorite muscle cars and an icon of automotive history. With its distinct styling options and abundant performance features, the Chevelle SS remains as popular today as it did when it first rolled off the assembly line many years ago. The timeless appeal of this classic car speaks to the power and influence of American muscle culture. The Chevelle SS is a true American classic that will never go out of style.
Tips For Finding A Used 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS In Good Condition
There are several key steps to take when looking for a used 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS in good condition. Here is a list of tips that can help you in your search:
– Research the market – Before you start searching, investigate the current market prices for used 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SSs and familiarize yourself with what’s available. This will give you an idea of what to expect and how much you should be willing to pay.
– Get vehicle history reports – Make sure to get vehicle history reports on any potential vehicles before making an offer so that you understand the full warranty and repair history of the car.
– Inspect the vehicle – Take as much time as needed to inspect the vehicle thoroughly before making a purchase. Check for any signs of rust, damage or wear and tear. Also make sure all the necessary paperwork is in order.
– Get an inspection – Have an independent mechanic inspect the car to make sure it’s in good condition and free from any hidden issues or defects that you may have missed during your own inspection.
– Test drive – Before committing to a purchase, take the vehicle for a test drive to get a better feel of how it drives and handles on the road.
– Negotiate – Make sure to negotiate with the seller on price so that you can get the best deal possible.
– Get the right financing – If you’re planning on taking out a loan to finance the purchase of your vehicle, make sure to do your research and find the best rates available.
Follow these tips and you’ll be well on your way to finding a used 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS in good condition.
How To Maintain And Keep Your 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS Running Smoothly
Maintaining your 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS will ensure that it runs smoothly and efficiently. Here is a list of key steps to take:
– Perform regular oil changes – Make sure you use the manufacturer-recommended grade of oil for your vehicle.
– Replace air filter – This should be done according to the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule or every 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.
– Inspect spark plugs – A dirty spark plug can cause poor engine performance, so inspect them often and replace when necessary.
– Check brakes and suspension parts – Look for worn brake pads, calipers, or other components that may need replacement in order to properly stop the vehicle. Similarly, check suspension components for any signs of wear or damage that could cause an uneven ride.
– Examine the tire pressure – Make sure all four tires are properly inflated to the manufacturer’s recommended PSI level.
– Test the battery and connections – Check the battery and its connections for rust, corrosion, or other signs of damage that could lead to electrical issues with your vehicle.
– Flush coolant system – Make sure you use a high-quality antifreeze solution to ensure proper heat dissipation within your engine block and radiator hoses.
– Clean fuel injectors and throttle body – This will help ensure optimal fuel economy as well as smooth running conditions from your engine.
Following these steps will help keep your 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS running smoothly and efficiently. Regular maintenance is the key to a long-lasting, enjoyable car ownership experience.
How to Upgrade Your 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS Running Smoothly
To upgrade your 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS and ensure it runs smoothly, you can follow these steps:
– Perform routine maintenance tasks such as changing the engine oil and filter, replacing spark plugs, and checking and replacing the air and fuel filters.
– Inspect and replace worn belts, hoses, and fluids (coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, etc.) as needed.
– Keep the car clean, both inside and out, to maintain its overall condition and prevent dirt and debris from affecting its performance.
– Consider upgrading the engine components to improve power and efficiency.
– Install a high-performance air intake system and exhaust system to enhance airflow and increase horsepower.
– Upgrade the ignition system with a modern electronic ignition or high-performance distributor and ignition coil for better spark and fuel combustion.
– Ensure that the fuel system is clean and functioning properly.
– Clean or replace the carburetor, or consider upgrading to a modern fuel injection system for better fuel delivery and efficiency.
– Install a high-flow fuel pump and use a fuel stabilizer to prevent fuel degradation.
Suspension and Handling:
– Inspect the suspension components, including shocks, springs, and bushings, and replace any worn-out parts.
– Consider upgrading to modern suspension components, such as adjustable shocks, sway bars, and polyurethane bushings, to improve handling and stability.
– Inspect the brake system, including pads, rotors, calipers, and brake lines.
– Upgrade to high-performance brake pads and rotors for better stopping power.
– Consider installing a power brake booster or upgrading to a modern brake system for improved braking performance.
– Check the electrical system for any issues, such as loose connections or faulty wiring.
– Upgrade to a higher output alternator to support increased electrical demands from additional components or accessories.
– Consider installing modern headlights, taillights, and LED bulbs to improve visibility and energy efficiency.
– Ensure the cooling system is in good condition and functioning properly.
– Replace the radiator if needed and consider upgrading to a high-capacity aluminum radiator for better cooling efficiency.
– Use a high-quality coolant and ensure proper coolant levels.
Transmission and Drivetrain:
– Inspect the transmission and drivetrain components for any signs of wear or damage.
– Consider upgrading to a modern overdrive transmission for better fuel efficiency and highway cruising.
– Replace worn-out or damaged driveshafts, universal joints, and differential components.
Tuning and Calibration:
– Consult with a professional tuner or mechanic who specializes in classic cars to optimize the engine performance through tuning and calibration.
– Fine-tune the carburetor or fuel injection system, ignition timing, and air-fuel mixture to achieve optimal performance and drivability.
>>> You might also like:
FAQs About 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS
The 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS is a classic muscle car renowned for its powerful engine and bold style. To help you learn more about this timeless vehicle, we’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions below:
What type of engine does the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS have?
The 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS features a 402 cubic inch V8 engine that produces 350 horsepower.
How much does the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS weigh?
The 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS weighs approximately 3,500 pounds.
Does the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS come with any optional equipment?
Yes, the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS comes with a variety of optional features including power brakes, air conditioning, and special paint schemes.
What type of transmission does the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS have?
The 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS is equipped with a 3-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission.
How much did the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS cost when it was new?
When it was new, the 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS had an MSRP of $3,098 US dollars.
>>> See more: 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS LS6 454 – Freak of Nature
Restoring and building a Professional Grade 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS is no small feat, but anyone up to the challenge will experience immense satisfaction and enjoyment along the way. From selecting quality parts to following best practices for installation, it’s important to keep that perfect balance of perfection and functionality with each step. The result of this labor of love will not only be a showroom-ready classic muscle car that brings joy whenever you look at it, but a sense of accomplishment that can never be replaced. Building a Professional Grade 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS is an undertaking worth taking, so don’t wait any longer – start planning yours today!
The Cafetoscanarestaurant blog is all about great food and great company. From recipes and restaurant reviews to interviews and food news, we cover everything you need to know about the culinary world.