Why You Shouldn’t Use a Regular Vacuum To Clean A Fireplace?
If your fireplace uses wood as fuel, it is vital to keep your fireplace or hearth ash-free. It improves oxygen absorption for a more satisfying burn while also lowering the number of allergens and odors associated with smoke and burned wood fibers.
As a result, if you use a regular vacuum cleaner to remove it, you can end up destroying it.
Let me tell you more about why it is not advised to use a regular vacuum to clean your fireplace and how to clean it properly.
3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Use A Regular Vacuum To Clean A Fireplace
The biggest reason you shouldn’t use your standard vacuum to clear up wood ash is for safety reasons. Using your home vacuum to clean a wood stove or fireplace is dangerous because it is not built to withstand heat. The metal structure of an ash vacuum is specially engineered to withstand any high temperatures that might be lurking in those seemingly cold ashes.
As a general rule, wait until the ash is cold before vacuuming it. This means you’ll need to arrange a cleaning session for your wood stove or fireplace after it’s been idle for at least 12 hours. And if you’re using an ash cleaner, you can never try to vacuum up hot ashes.
Protect Your Vacuum Cleaner Investment
A standard vacuum cleaner isn’t made to treat warm or hot ashes. It can easily melt rubber/plastics in hose and dustbin construction. It has the potential to cause a fire inside your machine.
Using the most trusted kitchen vacuum cleaner to suck away all the ash or sheetrock particles in your home is the easiest way to kill it. Those microscopic particles can go straight to the engine, causing damage to its internal workings. Standard vacuum filters are unable to completely absorb ultrafine dust and are not designed to do so.
If you want your vacuum cleaner to last for several more cleanings, make sure you use it for what it was designed for: sweeping your floors and carpets.
Ash Vacuums Are The Best Alternative
The cost varies depending on the accessories and equipment used with the kit. However, since their name and range are small, most sell for about $200.
Although an ash vacuum cleaner is mainly intended for dry cleaning, it may also be used for other cleaning tasks, such as cleaning your store or workshop. Nonetheless, this is dependent on the number of instruments or accessories included with the unit. So, whether you own a store or need to clean up after a long DIY job, floor accessories will come in handy.
8 Steps To Clean A Fireplace Not Using Regular Vacuums
- Cover any nearby furniture and carpet with garbage bags or old sheets to protect the place. To dispose of the smoke, soot, and waste, keep a garbage can line with two bags nearby.
- Until sweeping the flue, look for bird nests and any destruction or debris that needs to be handled.
- Remove the andirons and grate from the fireplace and position them outside. Clear any buildup or stuck-on carbon deposits, spray them down with a Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner and a medium-bristle brush. Thoroughly rinse with water.
- Clear the firebox with all debris. This is the location where the fire occurs. Remove ashes and any leftover wood with a fireplace shovel and put it in the garbage can. Sweep the interior of the chimney and firebox with a small brush or fireplace brush. Remove the loose dust and ash with a broom or cleaner.
- Get rid of the creosote. Creosote deposits form as a result of the burning of wood in your fireplace. Spray the chimney deeply with Simple Green as high as you can easily reach to prevent odorous creosote build-up. To make the cleaner stay on the surface longer, use the foaming mode on a Simple Green spray bottle. Don’t worry if any of the Simple Green runs down into the brick below; this will aid you in the next move.
- Clean out the fireplace. Simple Green should be sprayed on the interior walls of your firebox, and soot should be removed with a hard-bristled brush. Thoroughly rinse with water.
- Clean the screens and doors around the fireplace. Simple Green can be sprayed on fireplace windows and doors. Scrub any noticeable buildup on the screen with a medium bristled brush. Rinse and air dry, or use a paper towel to dry.
- Using paper towels or rags, absorb any remaining soot, cleaner, or water. Replace andirons and grate if necessary.
This video will help you understand more about cleaning a fireplace:
How To Clean Your Firebox Correctly: 6 Tips To Remember
- After the last fire, wait at least 12 hours.
- Remove or extinguish any live embers found in the ash pile.
- Through a metal shovel, scoop huge quantities of ash into a metal bucket. Place the bucket outdoors, away from combustible objects, until the scooping is completed.
- Flush the remaining ashes with an ash cleaner.
- Using soapy water and a towel, clean the inside surfaces of the firebox. Use a good scrub brush to get rid of grit in hard-to-remove areas.
- Clean all surfaces by wiping them down or rinsing them.
Do I need an ash vacuum?
With an ash cleaner, you can clear your fireplace in a fraction of the time. Vacuuming hot ash from your fireplace with an ash cleaner is a healthy alternative. To prevent anything from catching fire or melting, people build this vacuum with premium, heat-resistant materials.
How often should I clean the ash out of my fireplace?
DO NOT wash the fireplace entirely until you have stopped using it for the year. Before you begin the complete cleaning, wait at least 12-24 hours after your last use. DO keep up with weekly cleanings by removing ashes and dirt and sweeping around the hearth.
What can I use to clean the inside of my fireplace?
In a large plastic bucket, combine 6 teaspoons TSP, 1 cup bleach, and 1 gallon of warm water. Dip your nylon brush into the bucket while wearing rubber gloves, and then wash the floor and walls of your fireplace with the liquid until they are clean.
So, trust me when I say that choosing the right vacuum cleaner for your fireplace will save you a ton of cash. It can also help to avoid a fire or accident. So don’t use a regular vacuum to clean. Get an ash vacuum cleaner and get rid of all your problems and ash.